Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fire Drill :D

So, we just had our first fire drill. It was fun, but there weren't enough stairs to run down. Here's how it went:

I'm standing in 303, watching "Don't mess with the Zohan" and I hear a buzzer in the distance. As I'm wondering what it is, it spreads to the room. Yay! Fire alarm! Flashing lights!
 I calmly walk over to my room, open the door, put down my deck of cards, grab my sunglasses, throw on some shoes, and then head downstairs, assuming that it's probably a drill since our dorm does not really contain annoying people who do dumb things that set off alarms (knock on wood). I then realize that I wanted to use the fire exit on the side, because it's one of the rare times that I would get to use it. But at the last minute, I decided not to. I figured I would rather go out front with everyone else. After opening three of the heavy staircase doors (since I went down the back staircase), I went through the lobby where Public Safety was standing, and proceeded to the end of the sidewalk. After confirming that It was only a drill, I realized that it was slightly less of an adrenaline rush than I anticipated. Maybe it would be better in the middle of the night (although we dont really need that).

If you're wondering why the staircase doors were closed, it's because they're fire doors that are magnetically held open, but are released when the fire alarm is activated.

We are required to evacuate within two minutes (which is quite a bit of time for 44 people to leave), and we made it out in 1:35. I kinda want to set a "fastest evacuation" record, but that's doubtful, because even with my casual walk, I wasn't the last one out...


On a side note, when I was saying something to Jen from Public Safety, I unconsciously put my hand on her shoulder (which is something I do often), but she didn't seem to like it, so then it was slightly awkward. I didn't do it on purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment